Engagement Letters for CPA's & Accountants
Professional Liability Insurance providers and legal experts strongly support the regular use of engagement letters as part of your accounting practice. There is evidence that a significant number of claims can be avoided or favorably defended if you document the clear terms of your engagement in an effective engagement letter prior to the start of the engagement.
Provided by North American Professional Liability Insurance Agency, LLC (NAPLIA), one of the largest independent agents in the country, this website provides you sample engagement letters and related resources.
Engagement Letter Articles & Related Resources
Personal information (social security numbers, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, even name and address) has become a leading target of cyber criminals. With your client's personal information in your possession, understanding your state privacy laws and having a timely response plan is essential. What do you do if this data is compromised?
New regulations under IRC 7216 limits tax return preparers use and disclosure of information obtained during the return preparation process.
Education is your best defense in guarding against professional liability claims. Sign up now to receive Free Risk Management Tips.
Benefits of Engagement Letters
- Identify terms, conditions, services, and fees with your client prior to the engagement, while you are on your best terms.
- Clearly identify fees to avoid future fee disputes.
- Marketing your services by identifying those services which you are not providing to a client, but could.
- Include favorable Alternative Dispute Resolution terms in the event of a disagreement.
- Inform clients, through a disengagement letter, when you are no longer representing them.
- Mitigate potential "failure to detect" claims by identifying the exact services you are providing and the intent of such services.